Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dead Leaves on the Dirty Ground

Motivation to ride...slipping. Fitness...also slipping. It's not that I don't still want to ride, it's just that, after coming home from work, and it being dark before I can even collect my thoughts, it means every ride would have to be a night ride. I like night rides, but not as much as rides during the day. I’m usually only good for one night ride a week. It’ s just a lot of effort, and not as much fun. It doesn’t help that the past few nights it’s been down in the lower 30s. Like last night, for instance, I had every good intention of bucking the trend and strapping on the lights to hit up the trails, but when it came down to it, baked mac n cheese and watching House seemed like a better time.

My only real riding the past couple weeks have been on the weekends. Last Saturday I banged out a solid 75 miles on the road, going up to Newbury/Rowley and back through Georgetown/Boxford area. Atrocious headwind the whole way (somehow, despite it being a loop), and pretty chilly temps. Still felt good to get out, though. Weekend before last was a big one; 50-ish chilly, windy, (somewhat-hung-over) road miles up through Boxford, Breakheart (“full bitch”, or full loop for those unaccustomed do Team BH parlance), then a epic doubleheader on Monday, since I took Columbus Day off from work. First Matt and I hit up the Fells, then I rode home, crammed down a couple sandwiches, and headed up to Harold Parker with Nate. He showed me some an awesome new trail that someone (I’m guessing NEMBA?) had obviously built for mountain bikers and obviously put a lot of thought and effort into. Thank you, whoever is responsible for it! It is awesome, sweet berms, nice sheer drop off to the side at one point, and a super fun pump track - which I need to get better at riding ( I was never really a BMXer). In all, on Monday I’d estimate I probably put down 35-40 miles of trail riding, a solid day.

This may come as a shock to some of you, but I’m on the fence! I’m on the fence about getting into cross racing, but something that may have just pushed me off was coming across a sweet Independent Fabrications Planet Cross for sale in my size on Craigslist. If I can grab it, I will be off to the races. It looked like too good of a deal not to jump on, so I did. I’m hoping the seller gets back to me soon! I figure I’ll try a cross race or two…just having some kind of racing going on will help boost my recently flagging motivation to keep my fitness.

It’s tough staying fit when the daylight starts waning – I like Oktoberfest beer too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment